Pick Up & Drop Off Locations
Yacht of choice and size of charter group determining factors:
- If your charter group consists of 7 or more guests, you may be required to start and end your charter in the BVI. Laws surrounding this have recently changed and a good handful of yachts are now legal to carry more than 6 guests in US Virgin Island waters.
- BVI based yachts may mandate that your charter start and end in Tortola BVI, regardless of your group size.
- St. Thomas based yachts may mandate that your charter start and end in St. Thomas USVI, if your group consists of 6 or fewer passengers.
Charters that start and end in Tortola, BVI: If your charter will start and end in Tortola you can fly into Beef Island Airport (EIS) in Tortola, BVI or into Cyril King Airport (STT) in St. Thomas, USVI.
- Flights into Tortola will require a connection through The Luis Munoz Marin International Airport (SJU) in San Juan, Puerto Rico, followed by a smaller connecting flight into Tortola.
- Flights into St. Thomas are typically more direct as well as more affordable than flights into Tortola. However, for charters that must start and end in Tortola, a round trip ferry will be required from St. Thomas to Tortola and back. Learn more about ferry options. If you are going to fly in to St. Thomas, we recommend that you fly direct into St. Thomas vs routing through San Juan, Puerto Rico.
Charters that start and end in St. Thomas, USVI: If your charter will start and end in St. Thomas you should fly into Cyril King Airport (STT) in St. Thomas, USVI. Charters that start and end in St. Thomas typically spend one night in US waters and the remainder of the charter in the BVI. This charter start will allow you to see the island of St. John, a charming US island with beautiful beaches strung along her northwest coast. If you are going to fly in to St. Thomas, we recommend that you fly direct into St. Thomas vs routing through San Juan, Puerto Rico.
Pick up and drop off time for your charter: Charters start at noon and end at noon. Arriving flights the day prior to boarding and departing flights during the afternoon of your final day typically work best.
Ferries From St. Thomas To Tortola
There are several ferry companies that offer service from St. Thomas to Tortola and back. The ferries take approximately 50 minutes each way and cost approximately $90 per person round trip (less for children). After you determine your yacht of choice we can assist you with appropriate ferry companies and times. Ferries from St. Thomas to Tortola stop running at approximately 4:15 PM each day.
If arriving the day prior to your charter, there are AM ferry options that will get you to Tortola for your Noon charter start.
If arriving on the same day that you plan to take your ferry, arriving flights should be planned no later than 2:00 PM to allow for slight airline delays, time to deplane, plus time to get to the ferry terminal well in advance of 4:15 PM. The main ferry terminal in St. Thomas is approximately 5 minutes by taxi from the airport.
Ferries From Tortola To St. Thomas
When flying out of St. Thomas on your final day, flights around 3:30 or later will work best. This will allow you to catch a morning ferry from Tortola, take the 50 minute ferry back to St. Thomas, allow for approximately 60 minutes to clear customs/immigration at the ferry terminal, plus approximately 15 minutes to organize a taxi and take the 5 minute taxi ride to the airport. You need to arrive at the St. Thomas airport at least 2 hours prior to your departure, possibly more based on your airline of choice.
Private Water TaxisYou can also take a private water taxi from St Thomas to Tortola and back. These water taxis offer private service for you and your group at an increased cost. Contact us for more information.
A family group that we booked aboard 67' Catamaran Nenne in June, 2018 said:
Lynne- As we wind down for a few days in St Croix I wanted to let you know that we had a great time on the boat. And thanks to you for your advice and attention to detail, especially useful on the Tortola- STT -STX leg. Thanks again.
Chris and Susan L., New York
Our charter FAQ's page may answer many of the other questions you may have regarding a crewed charter in the BVI. Contact the charter experts now to get immediate assistance regarding any questions you may have.
The Crewed Charter Yacht Experience
Personalized and private, embark on the vacation of a lifetime! Learn more about what these crewed charters offer.